Monday, October 19, 2015

List of Linux System Hardening Resources

My recent post about how quickly newly commissioned Linux systems can be attacked and possibly compromised led to a bunch of e-mail queries about resources which explain how to lock down a variety of Linux distributions. Most such guides are distribution specific because, while the basic principles are always the same, there are significant differences between distributions and even versions of the same distribution that make writing a generic guide difficult at best.

I did compile a list which I added to the comments. However, based on the number of questions I've received I thought it would be best to publish the list as a blog post, something people could easily find and bookmark, with some additions to what I originally posted. I've limited this list to distributions commonly used in businesses (large and small), academia, and in non-profits. I have not included specialized distributions, including those designed for use by security professionals. Most of these distributions also are excellent choices for personal use.


Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Centos / Scientific Linux / Springdale Linux


Debian


SUSE


Ubuntu

1 comment:

  1. Thank for listing these guides, Caitlyn. Now that I'm a "journeyman" sysadmin, they will come in very handy.

    ReplyDelete